Real Property Tax Appeals Commission
Minutes of the Public Meeting held on
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Chairperson Gregory Syphax called the 2nd public meeting for CY 2018 to order at 4:04 NW. The quorum consisted of Gregory Syphax, Richard Amato, Rod Davis (via telephone), Wendy Gadson, Don Isaac, Alvin Jackson, Cliftine Jones, John Neil Ollivierra, Stacie Scott Turner, and Trent Williams. May Chan and Edwin Dugas were absent from the meeting. Executive Director, Carlynn Fuller, was also in attendance.
Richard Amato made a motion for approval of minutes from the August 30, 2018, Public Meeting; Dona seconded the motion. The minutes were approved.
Ms. Fuller gave the Executive Director’s report and stated the following:
- Provided TY 2019 YTD case statistics: 3180 cases filed electronically; 839 received in the mail; 1,533 hearings have been scheduled through October 26th
- Informed the Commissioners that the audit by the OIG had begun
- Discussed the preparation of the TY 2018 Annual Report
Mr. Syphax reported the following:
- Reminded the Commissioners that the prepared Opening Statement should be read before each hearing.
- Recapped the meeting that was held with DCRA to discuss problems with interpretation of the vacant/blight law
- Meeting lasted over an hour
- Had hoped for an agreement of sorts
- Gave a rough draft of issues
- Felt it was a worthwhile meeting
- Discussed upcoming meeting with Mayor’s office to address raise in hourly rate for part time Commissioners
There were no members from the public present at the meeting.
Stacie Scott Turner moved to adjourn the meeting. Don Isaac seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned at 4:20 p.m.
Approved: November 6, 2018